Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Entry 4-Reflection


Growing up I took foreign language classes as either a requirement for school or a hobby. At times I enjoyed it but I never gave it an afterthought. I looked at learning a new language as merely another language but I never considered the culture behind it. Taking this class and reading my classmates’ blogs, has allowed me to see learning a new language in a different way. Learning English as a second language while trying to understand and adapt to a new culture can be difficult and overwhelming. Language is the use of sounds, signs or written symbols used for communication and self-expression within a human society (Wright, 2015, p. 28). Language can differentiate between cultures. This difference is one of the attributes that make us who we are, but no one should have to forsake this attribute in order to be a part of another culture. Having schools and resources that allow students to learn English as a second language while maintaining their own language, also known as additive bilingualism (Wright, 2015, p. 21), is essential for the United States to be the beautiful melting pot that it is. All schools and the education system need to see that the home language and culture of English language learners; will help English language learners learn English (Wright, 2015, p. 3).

Having this new thought process and considering other individuals background when communicating, is something I will implement into my professional practices. Things can become misconstrued in the work place due to communication and the lack of understanding. Taking the time out to consider another person culture and language will prevent me from drawing conclusions that are false.

This same approach now correlates to my teaching philosophy. Being able to understand a student language and culture will allow me to be an effective teacher. Seeing pass the stereotypes will help me relate to the students, provide appropriate content instruction and be able to impact the community where I teach; in a way that will help implement policies and procedures that will benefit the students.

This class was enlightening but I would like to see more content on how to motivate students and different teaching strategies. In order for students to succeed, I believe, it requires several aspects but two of those aspects are motivation and effective teaching. Learning about different strategies and when and how to implement them; will help prepare teachers to teach students who have different learning styles. Also, learning different techniques on how to motivate students, what causes high or low motivation within students and what to look for if you think a student is unmotivated, coincides with being a good teacher. This is very important because no matter how much you lecture if the student is not motivated and you as a teacher cannot motivate them; than the likely hood of them learning are limited.

The limits that I unknowingly set for myself was pushed in this class. This class required me to do things I was not familiar with but encouraged me to see language in a new light. This was the first class I took that required me to write a blog and post it for everyone to see and comment. Of course many of us have a fear of being judged by our peers or classmates. Blogging and posting in this class helped remove some of the fear that I had. It also reminded me that this is a form of self-expression, self-expression is a form of language and language is a part of who we are; but most importantly it is what connects us.


Wright, W.E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English language learners: research, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.

 

9 comments:

Quynh Ninh said...

Hi Nicole!
According to Wright, “Effective teachers recognize and value vast store of knowledge students have in their first language and provides instructions to draw on the knowledge” (Wright, 2015, pg.55). As you mentioned, teachers should put in effort to understanding student languages, cultures and their background. That’s exactly what I was thinking. It’s one of important factors that influence a student’s learning. After read your reflection, another great point that I got is about motivation. I believe a good teacher is someone who always motivates their students, no matter how difficult the situation is. Thank you for sharing your reflection!

Farah Zayid said...

Hi Nicole,
I really enjoyed reading your reflection. I couldn't agree more that language connects us but it is also what makes us unique. I think it would be a great idea to incorporate strategies and techniques that we can incorporate into our classroom. I am currently being challenged by student motivation with my students. So many students are checking out and nothing I do can get them working on their assignment and it is so frustrating! I wish we had more conversations, articles, or assignments that allowed us to read more about student motivation. Wright (2015), talks about the idea of hybridization and how a student who was born and raised here will have a different culture than their parents but that the two cultures will merge and make a culture that is uniquely theirs (pg. 20). This is so interesting because we are teaching many students who are represented by a "hybrid culture." It will be more of a challenge for us to understand who they are, however, it will be very beneficial once we get to know the student well and be able to accommodate for them.
I think your blog is great and thanks for sharing with us this semester!!

Unknown said...

Hello Nicole Hill,

Thank you for an amazing class reflection! I truly enjoyed reading it since I could relate to some of your statements made as a reflection. I agree with you that learning a new language can be overwhelming and difficult since the student must adapt to a new culture and its surroundings. This was something I struggle with when learning English as a second language. I had trouble adjusting to a culture that is completely different than mine. According to Wright (2015), “the effort to maintain or develop a home culture while learning and adjusting to American culture is neither simple nor straightforward process” (p. 20). I agree with you that teachers, administrators, and schools should help children learn a second language, but encourage to maintain and develop their home language. According to Wright (2015), “English should be viewed as an additional language rather than as a replacement for their home language” (p. 22).

Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

Unknown said...

Nicole, I think you make a great point in regards to making sure that you truly understand student's culture before jumping to conclusions. It is a great idea to take the time out to learn about your kids and give hem a chance to tell you a little bit about themselves. According to Wright (2015), ELLs formulate and reformulate their identities as they deal with and attempt to resolve the conflicts between what they encounter at home, in school, and in the dominant society culture. Their academic success depends in large part on how the school and the wider society treat them, their language, their culture, their families, and their communities (p.19)."

Unknown said...

Hi Quynh

Thank you for taking the time out to read my reflection. I truly think that when teachers and future teachers take into account sociocultural perspectives of their students; it will help teachers gain insight and address the linguistic and cultural diversity of their students, the languages and literacies that students use at home or within their community, and the language and literacies the students need in order to be successful in learning English and academic content (Wright, 2015, p. 55). This class has shown me that teaching a student involves more than just preparing and delivering a lesson plan. Understanding sociolinguistic is one of those factors that can help teachers become more efficient in developing English language learners proficiency.

Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research,
Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.).Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

Unknown said...

Hi Carla, reading and learning about everyone’s different experiences, with either observing English language learners or being an English language learner, has definitely opened my eyes. I was truly unaware of some of the difficulties that many English language learners face because I haven’t been in their shoes. After taking this class I truly believe that students should not have to abandon their home language in order to learn a new language. Promoting bilingualism and biliteracy is something schools should encourage. Teaching content in the students’ home language is the effective way to make the information comprehensible (Wright, 2015, p. 90). This goal could be attained through dual language programs which aim at developing bilingualism and biliteracy in academic achievement in two languages and cross cultural understanding (Wright, 2015, p. 100).

Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research,
Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.).Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

Unknown said...

Hello Farah,

Yes, language is one way we are all connected even though we are all unique. Being connected through language is something we should celebrate and not dimension. Submersion is one method in which English language learners are faced with the obstacle of sink or swim. Placing an English language learner in a mainstream classroom where there isn’t an ESL certified instructor, no sheltered instructor and no PLS, also known as submersion, (Wright, 2015, p. 111), is a perfect example of our education system failing, in my opinion. I hope in the near future we can implement more techniques, strategies and means of motivating students in order to help them reach their academic requirements and goals.

Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research,
Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.).Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

Unknown said...

Hi Emerald

I believe that in order to help a student, it requires a teacher to understand and know how to assist that student. When teachers are knowledgeable regarding the language and demands of schools they can make principal decisions regarding language learning and teaching. This can ultimately build on the linguistic and cultural resources that students enter the school with (Wright, 2015, p. 28). Language, linguistics and a student cultural background all play a significant part in a student development in English proficiency. Knowing some of these key information regarding your student and school can help prevent teachers from drawing conclusions which can either hinder or encourage an English language learner success.

Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research,
Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.).Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

Quynh Ninh said...

Hi Nicole,
Your reflection and blogs are really thoughtful. I learned a lot from you. I am also think that understanding sociolinguistic is a key factor and accountable of teacher to support ELLs. One point that I think relevant for me as a Mathematics teacher is “make instruction in these content areas more comprehensible for ELLs with the support of literature” (Wright, 2015, p. 291) to assist my ELLs students in my classroom.